Monday, November 10, 2014

Izu Peninsula and Precious Time with Dad

Time with my dad always passes too fast. I don't see him as much as I would like, and I'm reminded of that every time I recall one of our all-too-infrequent visits. They always start with a big hug followed by him carefully scanning my face. Sometimes he does this while holding my shoulders square, sometimes with a hand steadying me at the jaw, and sometimes he does this from across the table at the coffee shop nearest our reunion where we inevitably find ourselves, his head slightly askew, peering over my latte and the cappuccino emphatically ordered "dry" every time but rarely ever dry to his liking. It seems as if he is taking a mental picture of who I am at each visit - how I've grown or changed - for his memory, a collage of a life he's nurtured for 30 years and counting. Though these brief, tender moments predictably devolve into my rapid chatter and his prolonged silence, they are there each and every time. 

My dad's peaceful, positive and gentle nature always centers me. He reminds me who I am and who I want to be without saying much of anything.


Our visits are (almost always) laid-back affairs, prioritizing good coffee, leisurely breakfasts and at least one good outdoor adventure. This year we met in Tokyo. It was as always.

Lots and lots of high-quality coffee...

First day coffee at Shiroikuro in Azabujuban.
Obscura Coffee Roasters in Kanda, courtesy of www.cafe-obscura.com.
Dad and his cappuccino at Obscura Coffee Roasters.
Omotesando Koffee.
Last day coffee at Shiroikuro in Azabujuban.
and an adventure. This time to Izu Penninsula, 2 and a half hours to the south-west of Tokyo, to hike the Jogasaki Coast.


The 10-km hike meanders along atop the jagged cliffs and overlooks a striking sight: groves of hexagonal columns of solidified lava that shoot out in places many meters above the water. These columns are believed to have formed when the nearby volcano, Omuroyama, erupted thousands of years ago and its lava flowed in great quantity into Sagami Bay, cooling as it seeped out into the water. Though the physics behind why lava cools in such peculiar formations appears to be quite complicated, the groves they formed couldn't be easier to appreciate.
The two most important men in my life looking out over Sagami Bay. 
It was a wonderful walk made even more enjoyable by good company, great conversation and lots of laughter.


Dad, thank you so much for visiting. I can't wait for our next cups of coffee together. kram och puss

No comments:

Post a Comment